If passive mode is not enabled on your FTP server, then a customer who’s trying to use passive mode will timeout when trying to get a directory listing. To enable passive mode on your ftp server in the Linux flavor of Plesk, do the following.
- SSH to the server as root
- Edit the proftpd.conf file. ( vi /etc/proftpd.conf )
- Add or edit the following line anywhere within the [Global] section:
- PassivePorts 49152 52152
- Save the file and restart FTP on the server
If you are using the firewall built into Plesk, then you need to add the following rule to the firewall:
- Login to the Plesk admin page
- Click on Modules > Firewall > Edit Firewall Configuration
- Click Add Custom Rule
- Rule name: Passive FTP
- Direction: select Incoming.
- Action: select Allow.
- Ports: in the Add port input box, enter the value 49152-52152.
- Leave the TCP option selected, and click Add.
- Click Ok
- Click Activate, and then click Activate again.
This will now allow your customers to use Passive FTP mode in their FTP clients.